Popular search terms:
Published:   |   Last Updated: December 21, 2023

Pay Tax Due in Full

View our interactive tax map to see where you are in the tax process. It could help you navigate your way through the IRS.

Show on Roadmap
Taxpayer Roadmap with folded image in front

Station Overview

When you file a tax return that results in a balance due, then a collection alternative is to pay the tax in full.

This notice or letter may include additional topics that have not yet been covered here. Please check back frequently for updates.

What does this mean to me?

Paying the tax balance in full can stop other collection actions. 

When you don’t pay your taxes, the IRS can file a public document with the local and/or state authorities. 

  • When the NFTL is filed, it alerts creditors you owe the government.
  • The NFTL secures the government’s claim to your current and future property and assets until the balance is paid in full.
  • While NFTLs no longer appear on credit reports, they may still affect your ability to get credit if a potential creditor uses other resources, such as public records, to discover the NFTL. 

If the balance goes unpaid, the IRS can take money from your bank account or wages (called a levy) or take property to pay the tax debt (called a seizure).  

This may include digital assets, find out more on digital assets and how this may apply to you.

How did I get here?

You have unpaid tax balances and the IRS sent you a  letter stating how much you owe, when it’s due, and how to pay.   


What are my next steps?


If you need proof your balance is paid


If you would like to full pay or make payments


If you disagree with the balance

See Taxpayer Disagrees with Assessment for more information.

If you believe you have overpaid your taxes, you can file a refund claim by completing Form 843 and asking for the money back; however, there are specific time frames in which you must file your claim. For more information, see Publication 556, Examination of Returns, Appeal Rights, and Claims for Refund.

If the IRS has filed a NFTL, see lien relief, for more information and options 

If the IRS has taken money from a bank account or your wages, see levy relief, for more information.  

Where can I get additional help?

Understanding your notice or letter

Get Help topics

Browse common tax issues and situations at TAS Get Help

If you still need help

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayers’ rights. We can offer you help if your tax problem is causing a financial difficulty, you’ve tried and been unable to resolve your issue with the IRS, or you believe an IRS system, process, or procedure just isn’t working as it should. If you qualify for our assistance, which is always free, we will do everything possible to help you.

Visit www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov or call 1-877-777-4778.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) are independent from the IRS and TAS. LITCs represent individuals whose income is below a certain level and who need to resolve tax problems with the IRS. LITCs can represent taxpayers in audits, appeals, and tax collection disputes before the IRS and in court. In addition, LITCs can provide information about taxpayer rights and responsibilities in different languages for individuals who speak English as a second language. Services are offered for free or a small fee. For more information or to find an LITC near you, see the LITC page on the TAS website or Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List.