Popular search terms:
Published:   |   Last Updated: September 28, 2023

Discharge of the Notice of Federal Tax Lien

View our interactive tax map to see where you are in the tax process. It could help you navigate your way through the IRS.

Show on Roadmap
Taxpayer Roadmap with folded image in front

Station Overview

The Notice of Federal Tax Lien (NFTL) can affect the sale of different types of property, like a house, boat, car, or equipment. Applying for a Certificate of Discharge, if granted, will remove the effect of the NFTL from the property named in the discharge document.

This notice or letter may include additional topics that have not yet been covered. Please check back frequently for updates.

What does this mean to me?

The IRS has filed a NFTL for unpaid tax balances. Paying the tax balance in full can stop other collection actions. The NFTL is a public record that can affect you and the sale of your property and assets

How did I get here?

When you don’t pay your taxes, the IRS can file a public document with the local and/or state authorities.  When the NFTL is filed, it alerts creditors and potential buyers that you owe the government. 

The NFTL secures the priority of the government’s claim to your current and future property and assets until the balance is paid in full.

What are my next steps?

To request IRS consider discharge, complete Form 14135, Application for Certificate of Discharge of Property from Federal Tax Lien.

See Publication 783, Instructions on how to apply for a Certificate of Discharge from Federal Tax Lien, for more information on how to request discharge.

Once the IRS has reviewed your application for discharge of the NFTL, they will issue Letter 4025, Letter Advising of Action on Application for Discharge of Property from Federal Tax Lien, with its determination and any required action you need to take.  If the IRS denies your request, you will be advised of your right to appeal under the Collection Appeals Program  (CAP).

See Lien Relief for additional options to address the NFTL.


Where can I get additional help?

Understanding your notice or letter

Get Help topics

If you still need help

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayers’ rights. We can offer you help if your tax problem is causing a financial difficulty, you’ve tried and been unable to resolve your issue with the IRS, or you believe an IRS system, process, or procedure just isn’t working as it should. If you qualify for our assistance, which is always free, we will do everything possible to help you.

Visit www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov or call 1-877-777-4778.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) are independent from the IRS and TAS. LITCs represent individuals whose income is below a certain level and who need to resolve tax problems with the IRS. LITCs can represent taxpayers in audits, appeals, and tax collection disputes before the IRS and in court. In addition, LITCs can provide information about taxpayer rights and responsibilities in different languages for individuals who speak English as a second language. Services are offered for free or a small fee. For more information or to find an LITC near you, see the LITC page on the TAS website or Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List.

Additional Contact Information

  • Centralized Lien Operation: To resolve basic and routine lien issues: verify a lien, request lien payoff amount, or release a lien, call 800-913-6050 or fax 855-753-8177.
  • Collection Advisory Group: For all complex lien issues, including discharge, subordination, subrogation or withdrawal; find contact information for your local advisory office in Publication 4235, Collection Advisory Group Addresses.
  • Under certain circumstances you may be able to appeal the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien. For more information, see Publication 1660.
  • Centralized Insolvency Operation: If you are questioning whether your bankruptcy has changed your tax debt, call 800-973-0424.
  • Contact the IRS: