Popular search terms:
Published:   |   Last Updated: August 11, 2023

Taxpayer Addresses e-file Errors and Refiles

View our interactive tax map to see where you are in the tax process. It could help you navigate your way through the IRS.

Show on Roadmap
Taxpayer Roadmap with folded image in front


If you e-file, the IRS will notify you within 24 hours if your tax return was received and accepted or if it was rejected. The notification should explain why your return was rejected.

The IRS accepts most tax returns, but if it has a problem such as an incorrect Social Security number, the IRS will reject your tax return and tell you how to fix it. You can usually fix the problem and try to e-file again, but in some cases, you’ll need to submit a paper tax return instead.

How did I get here?

If you return was rejected there must be an error on your tax return. Several things to note:

See also Age, Name or SSN Rejects, Errors, Correction Procedures.

The IRS has an Error Search Tool available to assist with rejected returns if you are using the Free File fillable forms available on www.irs.gov.

Where can I get Additional Help

Get Help topics

Browse common tax issues and situations at Get Help.

If you still need help

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayers’ rights. We can offer you help if your tax problem is causing a financial difficulty, you’ve tried and been unable to resolve your issue with the IRS, or you believe an IRS system, process, or procedure just isn’t working as it should. If you qualify for our assistance, which is always free, we will do everything possible to help you.

Visit www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov or call 1-877-777-4778.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) are independent from the IRS and TAS. LITCs represent individuals whose income is below a certain level and who need to resolve tax problems with the IRS. LITCs can represent taxpayers in audits, appeals, and tax collection disputes before the IRS and in court. In addition, LITCs can provide information about taxpayer rights and responsibilities in different languages for individuals who speak English as a second language. Services are offered for free or a small fee. For more information or to find an LITC near you, see the LITC page on the TAS website or Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List.


Where am I in the tax system?

Taxpayer Addresses e-file Errors and Refiles