Popular search terms:
Published:   |   Last Updated: December 20, 2023

 CP 22A

Data Processing Adjustment Notice – Balance Due 

View our interactive tax map to see where you are in the tax process. It could help you navigate your way through the IRS.

Show on Roadmap
Creased taxpayer roadmap

Notice Overview

We made the changes you requested to your tax return for the tax year on the notice. You owe the IRS as a result of the changes. You need to send a payment or set up a payment plan. 

This letter may include additional topics that have not yet been covered here. Please check back frequently for updates.

What does this mean to me?

You now have a balance due. This notice is being sent to you to let you know how much you owe, when it is due, and how to pay.   

How did I get here?

You requested changes to your tax return for the tax year on your notice. You have a balance due as a result of the changes. 

What are my next steps?


If you disagree

If you disagree with the balance due in the notice, call the IRS at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call. 


If you agree

If you agree with the balance due in the notice and are able to pay the amount you owe by the due date on the notice. Pay online, by phone, or with a mobile device. Visit IRS.gov/payments or IRS2Go mobile app for all payment options. 


Payment Options

If you plan to mail a payment, consider the electronic payment options first. It’s free to pay from a bank account (Direct Pay) or Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). If you pay by check, money order or cashier’s check, make sure it is payable to the U.S. Treasury. 

If you can’t pay the full amount by theat due date on the notice, you need to figure out what payment options might work for your situation, and contact the IRS to set up a payment plan or discuss other ways to address your balance. 

Being proactive in addressing the tax debt may prevent additional penalty and interest charges and eliminate the need for the IRS to take action to collect the balance. For specifics, see I got a notice from the IRS. 

Where can I get additional help?

Get Help topics

Browse common tax issues and situations at TAS Get Help

If you still need help

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayers’ rights. We can offer you help if your tax problem is causing a financial difficulty, you’ve tried and been unable to resolve your issue with the IRS, or you believe an IRS system, process, or procedure just isn’t working as it should. If you qualify for our assistance, which is always free, we will do everything possible to help you.

Visit www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov or call 1-877-777-4778.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) are independent from the IRS and TAS. LITCs represent individuals whose income is below a certain level and who need to resolve tax problems with the IRS. LITCs can represent taxpayers in audits, appeals, and tax collection disputes before the IRS and in court. In addition, LITCs can provide information about taxpayer rights and responsibilities in different languages for individuals who speak English as a second language. Services are offered for free or a small fee. For more information or to find an LITC near you, see the LITC page on the TAS website or Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List.


Did you know there is a Taxpayer Bill of Rights?

The taxpayer Bill of Rights is grouped into 10 easy to understand categories outlining the taxpayer rights and protections embedded in the tax code.

It is also what guides the advocacy work we do for taxpayers.

Read more about your rights

Where am I in the tax system?

 CP 22A – Data Processing Adjustment Notice – Balance Due