Popular search terms:
Published:   |   Last Updated: July 18, 2023

Notice CP01A – We Assigned You an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number

View our interactive tax map to see where you are in the tax process. It could help you navigate your way through the IRS.

Show on Roadmap
Taxpayer Roadmap with folded image in front

Notice Overview

The CP01A notice contains an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) that prevents someone else from filing a federal tax return using your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The IP PIN is known only to you and the IRS. Even if you do not have to file a tax return, your account is still protected from fraudulent filing.

This notice or letter may include additional topics that have not yet been covered here. Please check back frequently for updates.

What does this mean to me?

If the IRS has assigned you an IP PIN because you have been the victim of tax-related identity theft, you will need to include this unique six-digit number on your tax return.  If you are married and filing a joint income tax return and you and your spouse have each received a CP01A, you will need both IP PINs to successfully file the joint return.

How did I get here?

If you have received a CP01A notice, you will need to include the notice with the tax information you gather to prepare your tax return.  Whether you file your return electronically, on paper, prepare the return yourself, or have it prepared by a tax professional, you will need to reference the IP PIN listed on the CP01A notice to complete your tax return.

View Notice Online:

View your federal tax records and manage your communication preferences online

Sign in to your Online Account to:

  • Make payments
  • Go paperless for certain notices
  • Get email notifications for new notices

What are my next steps?

If you file electronically, include the IP PIN in the appropriate place where asked. If your dependent was issued an IP PIN, enter the dependent’s IP PIN as well.

If you file a paper return, enter the IP PIN on the tax return in the box marked “Identity Protection PIN” located to the right of your signature and occupation on the bottom of page 2.

Keep your number private and don’t give it to anyone other than a tax professional who is preparing your return.

Where can I get additional help?

Understanding your Notice or Letter

Get Help topics

Browse common tax issues and situations at TAS Get Help

If you still need help

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayers’ rights. We can offer you help if your tax problem is causing a financial difficulty, you’ve tried and been unable to resolve your issue with the IRS, or you believe an IRS system, process, or procedure just isn’t working as it should. If you qualify for our assistance, which is always free, we will do everything possible to help you.

Visit www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov or call 1-877-777-4778.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) are independent from the IRS and TAS. LITCs represent individuals whose income is below a certain level and who need to resolve tax problems with the IRS. LITCs can represent taxpayers in audits, appeals, and tax collection disputes before the IRS and in court. In addition, LITCs can provide information about taxpayer rights and responsibilities in different languages for individuals who speak English as a second language. Services are offered for free or a small fee. For more information or to find an LITC near you, see the LITC page on the TAS website or Publication 4134, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List. This Publication is also available online at www.irs.gov or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676.


Where am I in the tax system?

CP01A – We Assigned You an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number