Popular search terms:
Published:   |   Last Updated: February 7, 2024

Some Economic Impact Payments are coming as prepaid debit cards in plain envelopes

The IRS warns taxpayers that their Economic Impact Payments (EIP) may be coming as prepaid debit cards in plain envelopes from “Money Network Cardholder Services.” The Visa name will appear on the front of the card; the back of the card has the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank®, N.A.

So be very careful not to throw the envelope away thinking it is junk mail – open it first to be sure!

person thinking


How to Use the EIP Card

Information included with the card will explain that the card is your Economic Impact Payment Card and how it can be used. Taxpayers who receive the card should go to EIPcard.com for more detailed information about using the prepaid debit card or for answers to questions.

Who Will Get EIP Cards?

The IRS says nearly four million people will receive their EIP by prepaid debit card instead of paper check. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service, a part of the Treasury Department that works with the IRS to handle distribution of the payments, made the determination as to which taxpayers will receive a prepaid debit card.

Because the Bureau of the Fiscal Service is issuing these cards, you cannot specifically ask the IRS to send the EIP to you as a prepaid debit card at this time.

For those who don’t receive their EIP by direct deposit, they will receive their payment by paper check or by prepaid debit card.

Here’s What to Do if You Discarded Your Economic Impact Payment Prepaid Debit Card

Your Economic Impact Payment may arrive in a plain envelope from “Money Network Cardholder Services” which some people have thrown away by mistake. If your card is discarded or destroyed, call EIP Card Customer Service at 1-800-240-8100 (TTY: 1-800-241-9100) immediately and select the “Lost/Stolen” option. Your card will be deactivated to prevent anyone from using it and a new replacement card will be ordered.


Do not fall for scams! Remember, always go directly and solely to IRS.gov for official information or to our Taxpayer Advocate Service website.

More Information

Follow the Taxpayer Advocate Service across social media: TwitterFacebookLinkedIn and YouTube.