Each year the IRS sponsors the Nationwide Tax Forums. The event is a series of tax education sessions for tax professionals. The 2021 Tax Forum will begin July 20 and run through August 19 with webinars offered every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
These events feature the latest information from the IRS, news about tax law changes, the chance to meet with software vendors and the opportunity to attend 30 different seminars presented by IRS employees and members of professional associations.
At this year’s Forums, the Taxpayer Advocate Service will present two seminars which will focus on:
Advocating for Taxpayers Eligible for Payment Plans
This seminar will discuss expanded options for taxpayers to resolve their liabilities as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. By the end of the presentation, attendees will be able to:
- determine who qualifies for a short-term payment plan;
- help taxpayers who need to add new tax balances to existing payment plans;
- know the rules for providing a financial statement or documenting expenses;
- assist taxpayers when they are temporarily unable to meet the terms of an accepted offer in compromise; and
- understand how the filing a federal tax lien affects eligibility for an installment agreement.
Advocating for Taxpayers in Order to Avoid Abusive Tax Schemes
This seminar will explain how practitioners can assist taxpayers in avoiding abusive schemes. By the end of the presentation, attendees will be able to:
- help the public to recognize and avoid abusive tax schemes;
- know about recent schemes and how they were introduced into the tax eco system;
- identify and deconstruct a common scheme; understand how a scheme impacts taxpayers; and
- understand the tax consequences and penalties associated with abusive schemes and frivolous submissions.
Hope you can join us at the 2021 IRS Nationwide Tax Forum!