Refund delayed? Our ability to help may be limited.

Popular search terms:

Contact Us

If you are having tax problems and have not been able to resolve them with the IRS, the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) may be able to help you. And our service is free.

Note: The Taxpayer Advocate Service is currently experiencing a high volume of incoming calls. As a result, you may experience lengthy wait times while trying to contact an advocate. Typically, the longest hold times are early mornings. We apologize for these delays and are taking steps to reduce hold times to better serve you.

What cases can we help with?


TAS Qualifier Tool

Use our tool to help determine if the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) can assist you.

TAS Qualifier Tool

Request TAS assistance

Need help resolving your tax issue? Complete the Form 911 to request assistance.

Download the Form 911

Common Questions

What is the Taxpayer Advocate Service?

TAS is an independent organization within the IRS. Our job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly and that you know and understand your rights.

Find out more about TAS

What happens when I call the TAS toll-free number to open a case?

When you call the TAS toll-free number you will be connected with the Centralized Case Intake (CCI) team who is your first point of contact with the Taxpayer Advocate Service. They will guide you along the process to start your case and get the help you need.

TAS toll-free number: 877-777-4778

How to start a case with TAS?

There are several ways to request a case in TAS, the fastest option is to contact the Centralized Case Intake (CCI) toll-free number at 877-777-4778.

If you qualify for assistance, they will guide you through the process of the Form 911 to start your case and get the help you need.

TAS also offers other ways to complete the Form 911. These options may not be as quick to process your request, we suggest you contact CCI for quicker assistance.


What happens if my case is accepted by TAS?

If your case is accepted, it will be assigned to a case advocate who will contact you.

Find your local TAS office.

How long does it take to resolve my tax issue?

Depending on the tax issue complexities, it could take a couple weeks to a couple months to resolve your tax issue. Your case advocate will do everything possible to help guide you on your path to resolve your issues. The case advocate will be in touch with you throughout the duration of your case with updates and timeframes on your issues.

Where’s my refund? Can you help get it to me faster?

TAS can assist with refund issues after the IRS published processing timeframe has passed. If that date has passed and you are experiencing a hardship, contact TAS office to see what options you have.

COVID-19 has extended normal IRS processing timeframes. Please see for the latest updates.

Coronavirus Home Page

How to contact TAS

If you have not opened a case with TAS, call 877-777-4778 to get started.

If you have opened a case and need to speak with your advocate, call your local state TAS office using the phone number in the “Find a local TAS office” tool below.

Stay Informed

Sign up to receive updates on the latest tax relief and tax law changes, Blogs from the National Taxpayer Advocate, and TAS announcements.

Follow us on Social and get connected with TAS.

Image of Man at a computer

Visit a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) assist low income individuals who have a tax dispute with the IRS, and provide education and outreach to individuals who speak English as a second language (ESL).

Find your local clinic

Engage with TAS


Join us at our next event

Local Taxpayer Advocates will share tips to help you to avoid filing and processing delays so you can submit your taxes with confidence.

See all events
Success Stories

Hear how the Taxpayer Advocate Service has helped taxpayers.

The Taxpayer Advocate Service has helped resolve tax issue with the IRS

Read the Success Stories
Image of books with a cup on top

Do you have a suggestion for how to improve the IRS?

If there are particular provisions of the existing tax system that are especially burdensome or seem particularly unfair, or if you have seen an issue that affects a lot of taxpayers, let us know.

Submit a suggestion