Get Tax Help
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is here to help
The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is Your Voice at the IRS. Our job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly, and that you know and understand your rights. We offer free help to guide you through the often-confusing process of resolving your tax problems that you haven’t been able to solve on your own. Remember, the worst thing you can do is nothing at all!
When to Come to TAS
If you are having tax problems and have not been able to resolve them yourself, come to us. Even if you feel like there is nowhere to turn, the worst thing you can do is nothing at all. Our advocates will ensure that your best interests are represented to the IRS.
TAS can help if you can’t resolve your problem with the IRS and:
- Your problem is causing financial difficulties for you, your family, or your business.
- You face (or your business is facing) an immediate threat of adverse action.
- You have tried repeatedly to contact the IRS but no one has responded, or the IRS has not responded by the date promised.
If you qualify for our help, we’ll do everything we can to get your problem resolved. You will be assigned to one advocate who will be with you at every turn. We have offices in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Although TAS is independent within the IRS, our advocates know how to work with the IRS to get your problems resolved. And our services are always free.
Qualifying taxpayers will receive personalized service from a knowledgeable taxpayer advocate who will:
- Listen to their problems,
- Help them understand what needs to be done to resolve the problems, and
- Stay with them every step of the way until the problems are resolved.
How to Reach a Taxpayer Advocate
You can find the address and phone number for your local Taxpayer Advocate Service office on our website at www.irs.gov/advocate. You can also:
- Call our toll-free line at 1-877-777-4778.
- Ask an IRS employee (in person or over the phone) to complete the form on your behalf.
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance (And Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order), is available by phone at 1-800-829-3676, or on www.irs.gov.
Taxpayer Advocate Service Clarifies Case Acceptance Criteria
The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is designed to be a "safety net" for taxpayers who are experiencing problems with the IRS. However, because we couldn’t possibly help all six million to 12 million taxpayers who may be having problems at any given time, we need to focus on cases where we can add the most value. More details.